Medical Marijuana Consulting Hawaii
Medical Marijuana Consulting Hawaii
Are you looking to become a part of the Hawaii medical marijuana dispensary market? Cannabis Consultants at Quantum 9 can help with everything from medical marijuana permit or medical cannabis business license acquisition to patient product purchase. This includes application submission services, business planning, strategic alliances with industry leaders, funding, facility design, staff augmentation and seed to sale software.
Quantum 9 provides the following medical cannabis business licensing services:
- Project Funding;
- Schematic Facility Designs;
- Executive Team and Advisory Board Building;
- Business Plan Creation;
- Pro Forma Creation;
- Standard Operating Procedures;
- Good Manufacturing Practices;
- Quality Assurance Documentation;
- Quality Control Documentation;
- Security Protocols;
- Record Keeping Documentation;
- Laboratory and Extraction Facility Design;
- Testing Protocols;
- Manufacturing of Marijuana Products Documentation;
- Cultivation Facility and Laboratory Equipment Selection; and
- Laboratory Protocols
Unique Qualities of the Hawaii Cannabis Law
HB 321 establishes a licensing system for Hawaiian medical marijuana dispensaries. Individuals who apply for cannabis business licenses must have lived in the state for at least five years, and locals meeting that residency requirement must own at least 51% of the company seeking the permit. Licensees are not able to neither deliver nor provide free samples. Cannabis Business Licensees cannot transport nor manufacture/ cultivate in a different county or island than the retail dispensary. Hawaii has some very specific bottle requirements and does not allow for advertising. On the actual permit itself, companies only have to list an individual if they have 25% or more ownership or interest in the company. Each patient can acquire up to 6 pounds a year. Hawaii will allow reciprocity, out of state cards, starting January 1st, 2018. Hawaii does not allow edibles.
Hawaii Medical Marijuana Business Licenses
Hawaii only allows for eight (8) medical marijuana dispensary business permits. Cannabis Consulting by Quantum 9 can be provided per island without a conflict of interest. Each Hawaii dispensary business license allows for two cultivation centers and two retail outlets. Each medical cannabis cultivation center must contain no more than 3,000 medical marijuana plants. Marijuana Consultants at Quantum 9 have reviewed HB 321, and the county distribution is as follows:
- 3 Dispensaries in Honolulu County
- 2 Dispensary Hawaii County
- 2 Dispensary Maui County
- 1 Dispensary Kauai County
- 0 Dispensaries in Kalawoa County (It is banned in Kalawoa County)
No medical marijuana company shall be granted a dispensary license in more than one county. A dispensary can’t be at the same location as a medical cannabis cultivation center. On October 1, 2017, the Hawaii Department of Health will review the total patient population by county and determine if additional medical marijuana licenses are needed in that county. A medical cannabis license will be added for every additional 500 medical cannabis patients in a county.
There is a great “to do” list on pages 7 through 12 of HB 321.
Hawaii Medical Cannabis Application Costs
There are also strict financial requirements for applicants: Contenders for the eight licenses would need a minimum of $1.2 million on hand. The application fee is pegged at $5,000 per location, and the licensing fee is $75,000 with a $50,000 annual renewal fee.
The medical cannabis consultants assigned to the Hawaii territory have discovered that the following products are allowed to be manufactured: Capsule, tincture, lozenge, oils and oil extracts, ointments and skin lotions, or pill that has been manufactured using marijuana.
The following link will take you to H.B. NO. 321 H.D. 1 S.D. 2 C.D. 1 which was published by the House of Representatives of the Twenty-Eighth Legislature, 2015 in the State of Hawaii. Click Here
Important Dates in Hawaii’s Medical Marijuana Program
- Medical marijuana started 15 years ago on June 14, 2000.
- Governor David Y. Ige signs HB 321 on July 15, 2015.
- Tax clearance certificate and tax map key is due December 15th, 2015.
- The state must publish the selection criteria based on merit on or before January 4, 2016.
- Final rules will be published January 4, 2016.
- Hawaii starts accepting applications between January, 12-29, 2016.
- Marijuana Permits will be awarded April 15, 2016.
- Cannabis License Holders can start selling July 15, 2016.
- Additional Medical Marijuana License will go under review October 1, 2017.
- Home cannabis cultivation stops December 31, 2018.
- Reciprocity starts January 1, 2018.
Debilitating Medical Marijuana Conditions of Hawaii
- Positive Status for Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV);
- Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, or the treatment of these conditions;
- A chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or its treatment that produces one or more of the following:
- Cachexia or wasting syndrome;
- Severe pain;
- Severe nausea;
- Seizures, including those characteristics of epilepsy;
- Severe and persistent muscle spasms, including those characteristic of
- Multiple Sclerosis or
- Crohn’s disease; or
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder; or
- Any other medical condition approved by the Department of Health pursuant to administrative rules in response to a request from a physician or potentially qualifying patient.
Current Hawaii Patient Population and Medical Cannabis Market Size
There is a total population in Hawaii of 1.42 million. The current medical marijuana adoption rate is .97% of the total state population. The cannabis consultants at Quantum 9 typically see user adoption as high at 2.0%-2.3% of the total state population. Based on HB321, page 1, there are 13,000 patients registered with the Department of Health, sources state that there are over 1,000 patients in the Department of Health cue waiting to be approved. The medical marijuana consultants at Quantum 9 have done an analysis on the island of O’ahu, and the actual number of patients is closer to 13,800-14,000 with around 3,500 patients on the island of O’ahu. Patients are allowed to acquire 4 ounces for every 15 days and no more than 8 ounces every 30 days. In other words, each patient can acquire 6 pounds of medical cannabis a year. With an average pound price of $3,000 a case can be made that when the program starts the market size could be $378,000,000 in year one if no other patients join the program. The patient population will likely double over the first three years.
Hawaii Population by Island:
- O’ahu: 976,156
- Hawaii, the Big Island: 148,677
- Maui: 144,444
- Kauai: 58,303
- Molokai: 7,404
- Lanai: 3,193
- Niihau: 160
- Kahoolawe: 0
Marijuana cultivation centers must be on land where agricultural production and manufacturing is permitted. Both medical cannabis cultivation centers and retail outlets must be 750 feet from schools, playgrounds or public housing project.
Hawaii population is 38.6% Asian; 24.7% White (22.7% Non-Hispanic White Alone); 23.6% from two or more races; 10.0% Native Hawaiians and other Pacific Islanders; 8.9% Hispanics and Latinos of any race; 1.6% Black or African American; 1.2% from some other race; and 0.3% Native American and Alaska Native.
Great Medical Cannabis Research for Quantum 9 Consultants
About Quantum 9| Marijuana Consultants & Cannabis Consulting Firm
Quantum 9, Inc. is an internationally renowned cannabis consulting firm. The German Ministry, Senators Perry Clark and Michael Jacobs have publicly written letters of support of Quantum 9’s mission to help patients in desperate need of cannabis. The firm’s core expertise includes permit acquisition, staff augmentation, and employee training. The Quantum 9, Inc. team has successfully obtained 21 out of 23 licenses boosting a 91% success rate. Quantum 9 has helped clients obtain licenses in Colorado, California, Canada, Illinois, Massachusetts, Nevada and Washington. Quantum 9’s Seed-to-Sale compliance software enables clients to remain state compliant while optimizing all areas of cultivation and retail operations. Quantum 9, Inc. practices in over eighteen (18) legal cannabis markets in North America and international work in Germany, Israel, Holland, France, Puerto Rico and Canada.
[contact-form to=’email@example.com’ subject=’Hawaii Blog Post Lead’][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Phone’ type=’text’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]