Are you an entrepreneur interested in starting a marijuana business in Mississippi? Below is a comprehensive guide on how to apply for and win a cannabis cultivation license in Mississippi. The process can be complicated, but our team of cannabis cultivation experts can help. We’ll walk you through the entire process and make sure that your application is competitive and accurate. Click the button below to schedule a free consultation.
How to Apply for a Cannabis Cultivation License in Mississippi
Step 1 – Review the rules and regulations
First, it is crucial to understand the rules and regulations specific to the state of Mississippi. You should focus on:
- Senate Bill 2095 (SB2095), this bill legalizes the production and sale of medical marijuana in Mississippi; and
- Proposed Medical Cannabis Regulations: Cannabis Cultivation Facilities.
Furthermore, you should familiarize yourself with the following websites, as these are the agencies that will license and regulate cannabis in Mississippi: Mississippi Department of Health, Mississippi Department of Agriculture and Commerce, and the Mississippi Department of Revenue.
Step 2 – Determine if you’re eligible to start a cannabis cultivation business in Mississippi
Next, determine your eligibility to open a cannabis cultivation facility in Mississippi. In short, you are not eligible to win a cultivation license in Mississippi if your owners or officers are any of the following:
- is under the age of 21;
- has had a marijuana license revoked in the past;
- has been convicted of a disqualifying felony offense;
- owes delinquent taxes; or
- is a member or a spouse of a member of the Mississippi Senate or House of Representatives.
Also, your entity must be at least 35% owned by individuals who have resided in Mississippi for at least 3 consecutive years prior to the application (micro-cultivator licenses must have 100% ownership held by Mississippi residents of at least 3 years).
If you and your team do not fall into any of these categories, you are eligible to apply! Moreover, unlike other states, applicants do not need to be residents of Mississippi to obtain a cannabis cultivation license.
Step 3 – Contact a cannabis cultivation consultant in Mississippi
Step three consists of contacting a Mississippi marijuana business consultant to help increase your chances of winning a cultivation license. Our cannabis cultivation consultants in Mississippi can project manage your entire application, from technical writing to facility design to talent acquisitions.
Step 4 – Form a business entity
Next, you’ll want to form a business entity. In brief, Mississippi cultivation license applicants most commonly form limited liability companies (LLCs) or corporations.
Step 5 – Create a business plan for your cannabis cultivation license in Mississippi
Due to the highly regulated nature of the industry, it is essential to have a comprehensive business plan that is in line with state regulations. Additionally, our consultants can help you develop such a plan, covering everything from your proposed business model to your expected costs and revenue. With our help, you can create a Mississippi cannabis cultivation business plan that will set you up for success.
Step 6 – Raise capital
Certainly, applying for a cannabis cultivation license in Mississippi can be expensive and it’s important to start raising capital to fund startup costs and the application. However, with the right business plan in place, it’s possible to raise the capital needed to obtain a license and start a successful cultivation business. Our consultants have extensive experience in raising capital for businesses in the cannabis industry and can provide tailored advice on how to best approach potential investors.
Step 7 – Select a location for your marijuana cultivation business in Mississippi
While Mississippi law requires that cannabis businesses identify a location for their proposed business, you must demonstrate how you will maintain control of the property if issued a license. Most importantly, your facility must also comply with state laws and local ordinances, including appropriate zoning. That said, it’s required that you submit the following:
- Construction plans;
- Floor plans;
- Map or sketch of the premises;
- and more
Step 8 – Gain local support to start a cannabis cultivation business in Mississippi
Now is a good time to begin building local support for your Mississippi cultivation license application. We find that applicants with support from the municipality and local organizations tend to win licenses over those who don’t have local support. Therefore, aim for obtaining a letter of support from these local organizations. In fact, you can even include these in your Mississippi cultivation license application.
Step 9 – Write your cannabis cultivation license application
Finally, you can start writing your application. The process can easily require hundreds of pages of technical writing. For instance, you’ll have to submit an operating plan that outlines your procedures for:
- Employment practices that include a plan of action to inform, hire, and educate minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities, engage in fair labor practices, and provide employee protections;
- Record-keeping systems;
- Hours of operation;
- Preventing the diversion of cannabis and/or cannabis products;
- Types and quantities of cannabis products that will be produced at the cannabis cultivation facility;
- Methods of planting, harvesting, drying, and storage of cannabis and/or cannabis products;
- Inventory control and tracking;
- Procedures for proper labeling and packing;
- Transportation of cannabis and/or cannabis products; and,
- Disposal of cannabis waste.
As part of your Mississippi cannabis cultivator license application, you must also submit:
- Business Plan and Management Profile Plan
- Regulatory Compliance Plan
- Financial/Accounting Plan
- Safety and Security Plans and Procedures
- Standard Operating Procedures for:
- Inventory Control, Storage, Diversion Prevention
- Proof of Liability Insurance or Intent to provide insurance
Need help with your Mississippi cannabis cultivation application? We understand how frustrating applying for a license can be, especially if you’ve never written one before. Reach out today to learn how Quantum 9 can help you win a cannabis cultivator license in Mississippi.
Although the application process can be daunting, our cannabis cultivation consultants in Mississippi can help you every step of the way. With our help, you can have a greater chance of acquiring one of these coveted licenses. After all, our team has a significant track record of winning cannabis licenses in Mississippi. Contact us today to get started on your journey to receiving a Mississippi cultivation license.
Additional Information related to Mississippi Cannabis Cultivation Licenses
Cultivator vs micro-cultivator Mississippi licenses
There are two types of medical cannabis cultivator licensee in Mississippi: Cultivator and Micro-Cultivator.
The two types of licenses differ by size of the operation and associated fees. Within each type, there are also tiers. Below is a breakdown of the types of Mississippi marijuana cultivation licenses you can apply for:
- Tier I: canopy of 1,000 square feet or less
- Tier II: canopy of more than 1,000 square feet but not more than 2,000 square feet
- Tier I: canopy of not less than 2,000 square feet but not more than 5,000 square feet
- Tier II: canopy of not less than 5,000 square feet but not more than 15,000.00 square feet
- Tier III: canopy of not less than 15,000 square feet but not more than 30,000 square feet
- Tier IV: canopy of not less than 30,000 square feet but not more than 60,000 square feet
- Tier V: canopy of not less than 60,000 square feet but not more than 100,000 square feet
- Tier VI: canopy of 100,000 square feet or more
Fees for Mississippi cultivator licenses
To apply for and receive a cannabis cultivation license in Mississippi, you must pay:
- Tier I: Application fee of $1,500 and Annual License fee of $2,000
- Tier II: Application fee of $2,500 and Annual license fee of $3,500.
- Tier I: Application fee of $5,000.00 and Annual license fee of $15,000.
- Tier II: Application fee of $10,000.00 and Annual license fee of $25,000.
- Tier III: Application fee of $20,000.00 and Annual license fee of $50,000.
- Tier IV: Application fee of $30,000.00 and Annual license fee of $75,000.
- Tier V: Application fee of $40,000.00 and Annual license fee of $100,000.
- Tier VI: Application fee $60,000.00 and Annual license fee of $150,000.
As you can see, each Mississippi cannabis cultivation license type has its own unique fee.
Selling Mississippi cannabis cultivation licenses
So can you sell a Mississippi cannabis cultivator license? The answer is yes, as long as the new owners are eligible to receive the license.
- Pre-Application checklist
- Link to Mississippi cannabis cultivator applicaiton