Although cannabis consumption lounges in California have been around for some time now, marijuana establishments did not allow non-cannabis food and drinks until recently. This put a giant halt for profitability within cannabis consumption lounges in California. Thankfully, the legislation recently approved a bill that enables sites that allow recreational marijuana use to also allow non-cannabis food and drink. Now is the time to apply for a cannabis consumption lounge license in California, and open a successful business with the help of our consulting team.
Cannabis Consumption Lounge License in California
What is a Cannabis Lounge in California?
First, a cannabis consumption lounge or cafe is made for the onsite retail sale and consumption of cannabis or cannabis products. Secondly, a lounge shall have a licensed premise that is a physical location from other commercial cannabis activities. With this license type, you can only sell cannabis to those who are 21 and older. Customers can smoke, vape, or ingest edible and topical products. Lastly, the consumption lounge must be definite and distinct from the space of other licensed activities. Also, you can only access the consumption lounge through a separate entrance.
For any additional questions about activities within a consumption lounge in California, or any other cannabis business license in California, contact our cannabis license consultants.
New Rules for Cannabis Consumption Lounge Licenses in California
To begin with, the new legislation allows a local jurisdiction to allow for the preparation or sale of non-cannabis food or beverage products by a licensed retailer or microbusiness in an area where cannabis consumption is allowed.
With this new legislation, some rules have changed for cannabis consumption lounges, but most of them stay the same. So, with a cannabis consumption lounge license in California, you are able to perform the following activities:
- Smoke, vaporize and ingest cannabis or cannabis products on the premises of a retailer or microbusiness licensed under the division
- Prepare and sell non-cannabis food or beverage products in compliance with all applicable provisions of the California Retail Food Code by a retailer or microbusiness licensed under the division
With that, if you have a cannabis consumption lounge license in California, you must meet the following conditions:
- Access to the area where cannabis consumption is allowed is restricted to those who are 21 and older
- Cannabis consumption is not visible from any public place or non-age restricted area
- You can not sell alcohol or tobacco within the lounge
Additional Rules and Application Process for Cannabis Consumption Lounges in California
If you want a cannabis consumption lounge license in California, you have to apply for a Type 10-Retailer license with a specific consumption cafe/lounge destination. With this license type, you have to follow specific rules and regulations, which include:
- A consumption lounge can not operate between the hours of 2 a.m and 6 a.m.
- You can only sell cannabis to an individual in an amount reasonable for onsite consumption
- Customers can remove the packaging from marijuana and marijuana products purchased within the lounge
- You can not sell live plants or seeds
- Finally, customers can smoke, vape, and consume edible cannabis products. However, this can not be visible from any public place or non-age restricted area
Our cannabis consultants in California can help you write a business plan that meets all rules and regulations.
Conclusions on Cannabis Consumption Lounge License in California
Consistent marijuana legalization is causing innovation in cannabis businesses. This is why we see an uptick in cannabis consumption lounge licenses in new states. The VP of sales and marketing for Planet 13 Holdings Inc. states that “done the right way, consumption lounges can not only be beneficial to the public, but also to government coffers at all levels, adding jobs and additional tax revenue.” Also, these consumption lounges are huge tourist attractions.
Lastly, for more information on how to apply for a cannabis consumption lounge in California, contact our cannabis consulting firm. Our expert application writers have the tools for you to have an easy and successful application process. Let us help you win a license.
Join the discussion One Comment
Doing some studying for some hopeful future endeavors, I really appreciate this information.